When you’re on the road, it’s easy to forget how quickly an accident can happen. In an instant, a car accident can strip you of the life you love, leave you injured and in pain, and take away the activities and work you enjoy. In the aftermath of a serious accident, it’s normal to feel overwhelmed, but a lawyer can seek the compensation you deserve and help you plan for a brighter future.
At Ward Black Law, we understand the pain and uncertainty you may be feeling after a car accident. Our experienced legal team has years of experience handling car accidents and helping accident victims recover compensation after suffering from common car accident injuries in Greensboro, NC. We can serve you with the honesty, attention, and care you deserve. After an accident, put your energy into your recovery and let us take care of your case.
For a free case review, don’t hesitate to call us or contact us online today. We’ll listen to your story and walk you through your rights and legal options.
Car Accident Injury Statistics
People are injured and killed every day on the roads. Even with improved education and modern safety equipment, serious accidents still happen all the time. The numbers are staggering:
- There were an estimated 6,734,000 motor vehicle accidents reported to the police in a recent year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). These crashes resulted in 36,560 fatalities and 2,710,000 people injured.
- People running red lights is a huge source of crashes and injuries. In 2018, approximately 139,000 people were injured in these crashes, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
- Driver distraction is a huge and ongoing cause of crashes and car accident injuries. It’s estimated that in a recent year, 41 percent of drivers took their attention off the road to use their phones, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III).
- NHTSA reports that drowsy and tired driving is an ongoing cause of injuries and deaths on the road. It estimates that in one recent year, approximately 91,000 crashes involved drowsy drivers, resulting in 50,000 people injured and nearly 800 deaths.
- During the first nine months of 2020, NHTSA preliminary statistics show that fatalities in car accidents increased nearly five percent from the year prior. This is even taking into account that people drove fewer miles during the COVID-19 pandemic. Many of these crashes were likely due to speeding.
- Traveling on the road is dangerous, but the right safety equipment can help save lives and prevent accidents. In one recent year, front airbags saved 2,790 lives, and seatbelts saved nearly 15,000 lives that same year, according to car accident injury statistics from the III.
Common Car Accident Injuries in Greensboro, NC
Some of the most common car accident injuries in Greensboro, NC, include:
- Paralysis. Paralysis occurs when the spinal cord is damaged or severed in an accident.
- Soft tissue damage. The force of an accident can easily tear joints, muscles, and other soft tissues, which may lead to lasting injury and pain.
- Broken bones. Even with airbags and seatbelts, broken bones are still extremely common in car accidents.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI). TBI is a tragic injury that can happen even in low-speed accidents. The forces in a car accident can cause bruising, bleeding, and tearing in the brain that can threaten your life.
- Cuts and scrapes. Broken glass, shards of metal, and rapidly deploying airbags can cause severe cuts and lasting scars.
- Chest trauma. When a car comes to a sudden stop, people can be thrown forward, resulting in broken ribs, bruising, and other chest trauma.
- Neck injuries. Neck injuries are one of the most common injuries in car crashes due to the sudden force of the collision. Some injuries may never fully heal.
- Back injuries. In an accident, the muscles of the back may rupture or tear, and the spinal column may be damaged.
- Concussions. If you strike your head on any part of the car during an accident, you may experience disorientation and pain. Experiencing a concussion will also make it more likely that you suffer another head injury in the future.
- Torso injuries. Your torso may take the largest brunt of the damage in an accident. Many torso injuries sustained in car accidents are life-threatening.
- Spinal cord injuries. Any spinal cord injury is a serious one. Spinal cord injuries can lead to paralysis, loss of control, reduced muscle control, and major health problems.
- Whiplash. Another car crash common injury is whiplash, which happens when your head thrusts forward and snaps back. This can result in a painful injury.
- Internal organ damage. The force of a car accident can lead to bruising, tearing, and even ruptured internal organs.
- Facial injuries. Scarring and disfigurement in an accident can transform your life and require extensive surgeries to repair.
- Burns. In an accident, fuel can ignite, leading to life-threatening burns.
- Amputation. Due to the many pounds of metal and items that may become shrapnel during a motor vehicle collision, some accident victims suffer painful and life-altering amputations.
- Bulging, herniated, or ruptured discs. The force of a car accident is enormous. Your spinal discs can easily be damaged, leading to years of problems.
Types of Compensation for Car Accident Injuries in Greensboro, NC
The state of North Carolina recognizes that people deserve compensation for expenses related to car accident injuries. Compensation may include:
- Lost income compensation covering the time you’re out of work and income you may lose in the future due to your injuries
- Property damage covering your vehicle and personal property
- Medical costs for the treatment you need
- Pain and suffering for the physical and emotional pain you experience because of an accident
- Wrongful death compensation
How a Greensboro Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
After a car crash, common injuries can leave you out of work and in pain. A lawyer can work with you and seek compensation for your injuries. Some of the ways a lawyer can help include:
- Listening to you and understanding your needs
- Advising you on your rights and your potential compensation
- Letting you know what documents and records your case will require
- Investigating the accident and reviewing reports
- Handling any paperwork and calls with the other side so you don’t have to
- Advocating for you in any settlement negotiations
- Fighting for you in court, if necessary
Contact Our Car Accident Attorneys Today
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, get in touch with Ward Black Law today. We understand how much a car accident can hurt you, and we can serve as a powerful voice for your rights. With years of experience helping people injured in car accidents, we’re ready to answer your questions and help you seek the compensation you deserve. We pride ourselves on serving clients with honesty and exceptional customer service, and we’re available to talk with you.
After an accident, let us help you. For a free and confidential case evaluation, call us or contact us online today.