The City of Greensboro and the surrounding communities throughout North Carolina are becoming more cycling-friendly. Bicycle lanes on streets are common, as are routes that utilize both greenways and roadways. However, when bicyclists collide with motor vehicles, the results can be devastating. Even when bicyclists wear helmets and follow safety rules, they often end up with extensive injuries from an accident.
A bicycle accident can leave a rider with catastrophic, life-altering injuries. When a bike rider is involved in an accident caused by a negligent or reckless motorist, that motorists should be held accountable. The injured rider should get financial compensation for any injuries and damages.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a bicycle accident in Greensboro, contact the attorneys of Ward Black Law today. We will provide a no-cost initial case evaluation by phone, in person, or online. We can discuss your legal rights and options for pursuing financial recovery from the at-fault party that caused your injuries and damages.
How Our Greensboro Bicycle Accident Attorneys Can Help You
Investigate the Accident to Help Determine Fault
The experienced personal injury team at Ward Black Law will thoroughly investigate the accident scene. We will review records and other information to help determine if the driver of the vehicle was at fault. Our lawyers will:
- Gather witness statements.
- Review police and accident reports.
- Visit the accident scene.
- Inspect and document any damage to the bike.
- Investigate the driving history of the motorist.
- Review medical records.
Handle Conversations with Insurance Companies
Many bicycle accident victims agree to give a statement to the insurance company shortly after the accident without understanding what is at stake. The insurance company may lead them to believe that settling the case quickly is in the cyclist’s best interest.
Being out of work due to injuries may feel overwhelming, and the settlement may seem like a good idea. However, an attorney can help you make a complete list of items that should be included in any settlement or award. This list may include:
- Both initial and ongoing medical expenses. It may take time for you and your doctors to understand the full extent of your injuries. In addition, many accident victims need to complete several sessions of physical or occupational therapy before healthcare providers can determine how long rehabilitation should last.
- Loss of income and, in some cases, loss of future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering.
- Diminished quality of life in the case of permanent physical impairment.
We look at each of these factors with every bicycle accident case. We advocate for full compensation for victims and families in every case we handle.
Help You Navigate Medical Bills and Finances
Ward Black Law genuinely cares about our clients and their families. That’s why we help you navigate any financial barriers caused by your bicycle accident. That may include medical bills and other expenses that arise when you cannot work. You may be an accident victim with injuries, or you may have a loved one who died in a bicycle accident. In either of those cases, we can take the stress off your shoulders so that you can find time for healing.
Handle Your Case Without Requiring Any Money Up Front.
If you have questions about the legal process in your case, you can speak with one of the experienced legal team at no cost. If you decide to proceed with your case, we will handle things so you don’t have to. You do not have to pay any money upfront. We are paid from any settlement or award you may receive. We work on a contingency fee basis ─ which means we receive a portion of your settlement when you resolve your case, instead of you having to pay by the hour for our work.
If for any reason you do not receive compensation, we will not charge for our work. You will owe no attorneys’ fees whatsoever if we are not successful in resolving your case.
Compensation for Bike Accident Victims in Greensboro
Bike accident victims who have been injured by another motorist’s negligence or recklessness may be entitled to compensation. The compensation covers the damages the rider has suffered because of the accident and injuries, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages or income for time missed from work during recovery
- Lost earning potential if a rider is disabled from returning to work
- Pain and suffering
- Lost quality or enjoyment of life
Time Limit for Filing a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit in NC
When you have a claim for compensation after a bicycle accident, North Carolina law imposes a time limit, known as the statute of limitations, on filing a lawsuit. Lawsuits for personal injuries arising from bicycle accidents in North Carolina must generally be filed within three years of the date of the accident. Claims for injuries to minor children must generally be filed within three years of their 18th birthday.
If you fail to file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires in your case, the court can permanently dismiss your suit. That means you lose your ability to seek compensation in court.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Bike Accident in Greensboro or anywhere in North Carolina
After you’ve been involved in an accident on your bike with another vehicle on the road, here are steps you can take. Doing so can help you protect your rights to seek compensation and strengthen your argument for maximum financial recovery:
- Call 911 if you’ve been injured to receive the emergency medical help you need. In addition, ask the police department to send an officer to complete a police accident report. You can get a copy of the report from the police department.
- Get the contact and insurance information of the driver.
- Document the accident scene by taking photographs or video, if possible.
- Photograph or document any visible injuries you suffered.
- Follow up with your doctor or health care provider for an examination to identify all the injuries you may have suffered.
- Talk to an experienced bicycle attorney about your legal rights and options for seeking compensation for your injuries and damages.
Talk to a Bicycle Accident Attorney in Greensboro, NC Now
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in a bicycle accident in Greensboro or anywhere in North Carolina through no fault of your own, you need experienced, skilled legal representation in your corner. An attorney can help you seek the full financial recovery you need and deserve.
For a free, no-obligation case evaluation with Ward Black Law, call or text 800-531-9191 or visit our contact page. You can talk to a knowledgeable Greensboro bicycle accident attorney about your accident. You will learn more about your legal rights and options. A qualified bike accident lawyer can give you the best chance at maximum compensation in your case.