Your Attorney Vs. Your Veterans Service Officer

Bookmark and Share

When considering the prospect of appealing a denied veterans disability claim, it’s important to understand how a veterans disability attorney differs from your veterans service officer.

A Veterans Service Officer…

A veterans service officer is an employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs, American Legion or AmVets. Their role is to guide veterans through the process of filing an initial disability claim with the VA. This guidance can include filling out necessary paperwork, gathering evidence in the form of medical and service records, and answering any questions a veteran may have along the way. A veterans service officer is an excellent resource when first applying for disabled veterans benefits. However, if your initial claim for veterans disability benefits is denied, then it is time to consider contacting a veterans disability attorney.

A Veterans Disability Attorney…

A veterans disability attorney specializes in aiding veterans with the lengthy and at times confusing appeals process. To earn and keep their accreditation with the Department of Veterans Affairs, a veterans disability attorney must stay current on all VA laws and regulations. This ensures that your lawyer knows the ins and outs of the appeals process. While using a lawyer does not speed up the process on the VA’s end, it does shorten the amount of time spent filling out appeals forms and gathering further evidence for your case. A veterans disability attorney also has the ability to call medical experts to testify on your behalf. This is a service that becomes very useful if the VA denies your claim based on a lack of medical evidence confirming your disability.

In addition to helping appeal denials of disability benefits, a veterans disability attorney can assist veterans with filing a Section 1151 claim. These claims are filed when a veteran sustains a disability while receiving VA-sponsored medical treatment, or when a pre-existing disability is aggravated during VA-sponsored treatment. An 1151 claim can also be filed if injuries are incurred or aggravated while a veteran is pursuing a VA-sponsored vocational rehabilitation course or work therapy. Much like appealing a disability claim denial, the 1151 claims process can be a lengthy and complicated one. Having a veterans disability attorney on your side can alleviate the stress often associated with this process.

Whom Should You Choose?

A veterans service officer and a veterans disability attorney both offer critical services to veterans interacting with the VA. But it is important to understand how these two roles interact and what they can and can’t do. At Ward Black Law, we are happy to help veterans and their families understand when to rely on a veterans service officer and when to utilize a veterans disability attorney.

The veterans disability attorneys at Ward Black Law in Greensboro, N.C., act as powerful advocates for veterans, relentlessly fighting for the rights they deserve. Our team will help you navigate through every aspect of your claim and provide you with outstanding client support along the way. Contact the veterans disability attorneys at Ward Black Law today! You may reach us at (336) 333-2244, or toll-free: 1-877-256-121. You may also reach Ward Black Law by email or online inquiry.

For directions to Ward Black Law, visit our Contact Us page.

TEXT US NOW css.php