With nearly 10 million car accidents happening every year, the odds of living a collision-free life are not in any
driver’s favor. If you’ve been in an accident, you already know that emotions running high can make it difficult to focus on the technical and legal steps that should immediately follow. Most people (unless seriously injured) swap insurance information and aim to get out of Dodge as quickly as possible. While you probably just want the experience to be over, neglecting crucial steps can cost you in the weeks to follow. With years of experience handling car wreck claims, the attorneys at Ward Black Law have some practical steps to help you protect yourself after an accident.
Here’s a handy roadmap to help you navigate the aftermath of an accident:
- Remain at the scene. If no one is injured, move your vehicle out of the path of traffic. However, you should never leave the scene of an accident before speaking with law enforcement. Doing so can result in serious consequences.
- Call the police. The officer will create an accident report, so be sure to write down his name and agency (eg, city police, sheriff, highway patrol) to obtain your copy later.
- Do not admit fault. When talking with the other driver, avoid making explicit comments about the accident until the police arrive.
- Exchange information with the other driver. From their insurance card and licence, you should record the following:
- Telephone number
- Name of car insurance company
- Policy number
- Name, address and telephone number of insurance representative to contact about the accident
- License plate number and the state in which the car is registered
- Suspicious about the information provided? You can always call the insurance company from the scene of the accident to verify coverage before the police officer leaves.
- Take pictures. Take pictures of your car, their car, any debris, the road and anything unusual.
After the Accident
In the days following a car accident, there are several steps you need to take to ensure you are protected if claims are filed against you. These steps can also be used to make sure you receive compensation for any claims you file.
For a complete walkthrough of what you should do after an accident, download our free ebook here. If you haven’t been in a car accident recently, this ebook is a beneficial resource to have on-hand in case a collision should occur.
Need Help? Call Today!
Does your car accident claim seem like more than you can handle? The experienced attorneys at Ward Black Law in Greensboro, N.C. have years of experience representing people injured in accidents and are ready to answer your questions. For a free case review, call Ward Black Law today at 336-333-2244, toll-free at 1-877-256-1214 or contact us online today!