Mesothelioma Awareness Day
September 26 is Mesothelioma Awareness Day, a day created to promote awareness of the rare but deadly disease. According to the American Cancer Society, roughly 3,000 people are diagnosed with this aggressive form of cancer each year.
At Ward Black Law, we have worked with hundreds of North Carolina families whose lives and loved ones have been impacted by the devastating effects of asbestos-related cancer. For more than 20 years, we have acted as a powerful voice and advocate for these victims. Our team of experienced mesothelioma attorneys know firsthand that, despite the rarity of this condition, the effects of this disease can be grievous and often deadly.
What You Should Know About Mesothelioma
- Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive form of cancer which affects the mesothelium lining covering internal organs in the chest, abdominal and cardiac cavities.
- Mesothelioma is caused by exposure to asbestos, a naturally-occurring mineral. When asbestos is broken down, its fibers become airborne and can be unknowingly ingested due to its virtually invisible nature.
- Because men are exposed to asbestos more frequently, they are nearly 5 times more likely to be diagnosed with mesothelioma than women.
- It can take anywhere from 20 to 50 years after asbestos exposure for symptoms of mesothelioma to appear.
- The average age at the time of diagnosis for pleural mesothelioma is 69. Between 70-90% of mesothelioma cases appear in the pleura, or chest cavity.
- Asbestos was used in thousands of products ranging from construction materials to everyday household products. It’s possible that asbestos could still be in buildings today if they were built before the 1970’s.
- Nearly 40,000 people have lost their lives to mesothelioma.
Support Mesothelioma Awareness
The goal of Mesothelioma Awareness Day is to help shine a spotlight on this devastating and currently incurable disease. Mesothelioma Awareness Day is now in its 13th year, aiming to bring more attention and funding to this cancer. However, there is still much work to be done in the search for a cure and to ensure that future victims of mesothelioma receive the best possible medical care.
What can you do to help? Visit the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation website to learn more.
Mesothelioma Lawyers Serving North Carolina
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with mesothelioma or other asbestos-related disease, you will need a powerful advocate on your side to get the peace of mind and justice you deserve. However, the law limits the time within which you may pursue legal action.
The team of experienced mesothelioma lawyers at Ward Black Law have successfully represented more than 1,000 people with mesothelioma or other asbestos-related diseases. Many of these individuals worked in power plants and other industrial and residential sights across North and South Carolina.
Our N.C. mesothelioma lawyers have more than 20 years’ experience getting compensation for people with mesothelioma or other asbestos-related diseases. If you have been exposed to asbestos at work or at home or have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, our mesothelioma lawyers are standing by at (336) 333-2244 to provide you with a free consultation. You may also contact us via email or online inquiry form.